Wednesday, October 24, 2007

El Pumpkin Carving Contest!!!

Tonight was the annual college group pumpkin carving contest, one of the things that I look forward to every year. The smoke from the fires was not very thick tonight so it was fun to enjoy an evening in the Smith's backyard making some serious art.
But hey, it's not just about art, it's a contest! We need YOUR help to delcare a winner!!!
Below we have pictures of all the entries and we would like for you to post a comment and vote for which one you think is best! You don't have to be in the college group to vote, so please, show love to the one you love the most! We will hope to announce the winners soon, so I am thinking we need to have all votes in by Saturday by next Wednesday night (ummm Reformation Day). Hopefully we will get at least 95 votes...
We were really bummed that two of the fiercest competitors, Ken and Beth Flower weren't able to join us. We heard that they had to drive to Santa Clarita to visit their mom who was in the hospital. We are not sure of the details so please pray for them.
All of the entries minus those who had to go home earlier to study for midterms.
"M-I-C, K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E"

"The Elephant"
"The Mask"
"Northpoint"
"AHHHHH, SIDABANYA"
The look that inspired the pumpkin
"The Jay"
These two ladies with their submissions.
"The Picture within the Picture"

Angle 1

Angle 2

"Carving in Trees"

Please leave a comment and vote for your favorite!!!









19 comments:

curlyrunner said...

if i had to pick just one, it would have to be
"AHHHHH, SIDABANYA"
because the art is cool, the lighting in the photo looks rad, and the title brings back good childhood memories of Lion King.
otherwise - "The Jay" gets my vote - very traditional. plus it looks very much like the model it was crafted after :)

Jay and Janelle said...

Good call digital afro. I'd have to give my vote to the Face-Within-A-Face with the Elephant finishing in a tight second (coulda gone either way).

As far as M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E is concerned, I think an award such as "Happiest Pumpkin on Earth" would be fitting and appropriate.

Bill Blakey said...

Jill votes through e-mail for "Ahhhh Sidabanya" and nominates it for the winner of "Best Global Awareness" category.

Flower said...

I vote for the Elephant...its dope.

Bill Blakey said...

dtotheg votes for the trees via e-mail.

Madburns said...

man, tough call between Ahhhh Sidabanya and elephant. I think i have to roll with elephant.I noticed a striking angular touch to the rendition of the elephant. It made me think of Palmdale because there is a butte named Elephant Butte" (not to be confused with a popular insult). Props to Becky

Bill Blakey said...

Actually, it was Cory who did the elephant. Becky was involved with "The Mask."

Jordie said...

COME ON...Hands down I win with the face-within-a-face pumpkin. Not only was I able to feature two images in one pumpkin, I also kept it eerie with the lonely house amongst the hidden moon. OOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo!

Ben Blakey said...

I'm going for the picture within a picture. It's all about the clouds, man...all about the clouds.

The Laymans said...

I like becky's pumpkin because its funny and kid friendly....it also makes me laugh
-Ken Layman

The Laymans said...

I love the elephant. What does dope mean, Ken? I vote for it. Mickey Mouse and Becky's pumpkin made me laugh though. This is fun!
Susan Layman

Flower said...

"Hey Mickey your so fine, your so fine you blow my mind! Hey Mickey!"

Nice work Janelle, that is the happiest pumpkin on Earth and I'm oficially giving you my vote!

Beth

Flower said...

The most creative pumpkin goes to...Mickey!

Sandra Flower

The Laymans said...

I'd have to vote for the Tree Carving one. Love the bark effect. The artist employs excellent use of tooth picks.

Nate

Jay and Janelle said...

I'm officially putting in my vote...for the elephant! nice work cory :)

-Janelle

Becks said...

The Africa one is pretty fantastic- and fully supports one of Northpoint's missions... so full points to the winner who combined creativity and missiology!

Lizzy is Fizzy said...

AHHHHH, SIDABANYA is the winner in my book!

-Lizzy

Bill Blakey said...

I am definitely voting for the elephant becuase of the chiarascuro shading...

Bill

Bill Blakey said...

I vote for "the Jay."

Cory