Monday, August 27, 2007

What potential...

One of the things that Cory and I enjoy doing together on some evenings is going to Starbucks for a little Joe as well as some discussion, relaxation sometimes some John (Piper that is) or in the case of tonight, CJ. Our apartment is yay about 600 square feet and while it is definitely big enough to keep Cory and I from constantly bumping into each other, it is sometimes nice to be able to get out of "the house" for part of an evening.
In some towns (such as Santa Clarita) the would-be "get out of the housers for a while" have a plethora of options; the options are slightly less so here in Corona. There is the Starbucks in the shopping center that practically defines Corona; however, Cory and I find that Starbucks to be extremely busy and sometimes a bit loud. Add on to that the uncertainty of whether the large group outside is either holding a Bible study or looks like they would like to beat you up for your spare change, Cory and I usually opt for a bit of a further drive for a bit of a quieter spot (we hope).
Thus we go to the second-newest Starbucks in the Corona area. It is a drive-through starbucks but the inside has a really cool layout, sweet furniture and "nook" that you usually have to beat Mark Spansel off with a stick to sit in. Everything about it seems great, until you meet the employees. (Now, I have a friend who works at this Starbucks. However, we never seem to go when he is working and I think that perhaps we just go on all the off nights that the store has).
My friend Shay wrote a great blog about how his dying faith in Starbucks (aka the Third place) was restored by one faithful employee named Dave. Let me just say that I believe with the exception of my friend, their are no Daves working at this Starbucks. It seems as though every time Cory and I have gone into this Starbucks wanting to hang out, we have ended up being more annoyed with being there rather than enjoying our tasty beverages in a relaxing atmosphere. The music is usually a little loud for comfort (one time I couldn't turn up my headphones loud enough to drown it out), the automatic air conditioners above the doors seem to wash away your train of thought like oh-so many psunami waves and then there are the employees. I think that the last time I heard such an immature and blatantly loud employee to employee conversation was at the McDonalds in the Dallas airport when one employee, frustrated with the fact that the employees were focusing on serving the customers rather than providing her with break food, took two bags of customers food and walked off (in front of the customers who's food she took). The end of the conversation went like this
Employee to Manager: "You better check yourself!"
Manager to Employee: "You better check YOURSELF!!!"
Now, one might expect that kind of conversation from employees of the Golden Arches (you get what you pay for); but not from the Bucks!!!!
Tonight, as I sat with a fellow customer at the counter of Starbucks (we were united in the common bond of having our orders messed up) waiting to speak to an employee (of which there were 5) who, when no customers were at the register were busily preoccupied with things at the counter facing away from the customer. I looked around, Cory with her properly made beverage, reading. One other customer talking on a cell phone while playing on a laptop. And me and my fellow customer, waiting at the counter, ignored by the myriad of employees that seemed to have better things to do.
The last time Cory and I went to this Starbucks, I said I was going to write a letter ( and didn't). This time, I will finish the job.
But you know, as I was sitting there, after waiting at least 10 minutes in a remarkably unbusy store, finally with my beverage in hand I realized that I cannot place my hope in Starbucks. Not even In-n-Out Burger(I actually had a bad batch of fries there one day). Not even Stonefire. If I allow my expectations and hopes to be placed on the things that people are able to do for me, I will continue to be dissapointed in life. Even people with good intentions who know the Lord are not perfect and will bitterly dissapoint me if I expect them to be so.
Now, it may not be too much to ask for my beverage to made in the manner in which I ordered it, in a somewhat timely fashion, with employees who are thinking about the welfare of the customer rather than how they should be paid for showing up. However, when faced with the contrary, I control my attitude and my response. No lack of service should cause me to come to the place where in my mind I say to the barista "You better check yourself."
However, I am also faced with a choice, and if the staff at the Starbucks on Ontario Avenue east of the 15 freeway don't step it up, I will feel free to take the almost 4 molinas I pay for a frappucinno elsewhere. C'mon guys...

No comments: